When you are forced to face a grim legal consequence which may involve jail term, probation or fines, you can't afford to go about handling your legal condition without the services of a Cincinnati criminal defense lawyer. You need to get the services of a lawyer who has the knowledge, experience and the reputation to handle your case with the prosecutors, judges and courts.
As soon as a person is released from jail on signature and cash bond, he must immediately prepare for his defense. The best way to prepare for the case is for the person to hire a qualified criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. The sooner you avail for the services of one the better for your chances at successful defense. In cases where you are still under investigation or if you have not been charged, you should immediately seek a legal counsel as it is your basic right.
There are essential guidelines that you should follow when searching for your defense lawyer.
1. Perform an online search for a qualified Cincinnati criminal defense attorney who is practicing in the location where you are facing criminal charges. Narrow your search by focusing those legal practitioners specializing in criminal cases.
2. Pick out the top three or four law firms for your choice of criminal defense lawyer. Screen the lawyer's credentials and track record. Verify his court experience in the court case that you are facing.
3. Visit the websites of the large and most renowned criminal defense associations and check the criminal defense lawyer's name. You should limit the search for your attorney to those who are affiliated of highly regarded lawyer's associations.
4. Check on the veracity of the claimed area of expertise of the criminal defense lawyer. You can also check the State journal site and local TV stations.
5. Lastly, visit or call the law firm to verify if they provide free initial consultation so that you can explore the possibilities for their firm representing you in your court case.
You should also consider the following when selecting your Cincinnati criminal defense attorney.
1. Check for published books, articles and treatises that were written by the lawyer. This is a strong evidence of the competence of your legal counsel.
2. Verify the number of outright acquittals won by the lawyer. This is a good proof not only on the expertise of the lawyer but also on the degree of preparation and overall court demeanor your lawyer.
3. Check on how your lawyer is regarded by his peers and his position in lawyer's associations.
4. If there is a referral for the lawyer from state bars, then you are assured of the competence and integrity of your criminal defense lawyer. You can check the website of the state bar to get the background information of your lawyer.
5. Check the feedback of legal experts and criminal law commentators. Watch local TV and radio shows that feature forums on criminal law. Citing and invitation of lawyer in these forums indicate his being highly regarded in the field of criminal law.