Most people never think they will ever need the help of a criminal defense lawyer and therefore really have no idea what they should be looking for should the unfortunate task of looking for one come up. Whether you are guilty or not guilty of any particular criminal offense, it is still important to get the best lawyer you possibly can find for what you might be charged with. There are tons of federal criminal defense lawyers listed in the Internet and it can be a huge task just trying to go through the lists to find one.
When looking for one, the most important issues you will need to face is trust, whether or not you feel you can trust the lawyer you hire. With so many federal criminal defense lawyers out there to choose from it is hard to know whom to trust. The guides below should make your search a little less daunting overall.
1) It does not matter if you know your case is going to trial or if there has been a plea bargain in the offering, you still want to make sure you feel that you can trust the lawyer and his or her skills. You need to find out if the attorney you might be considering has many experience in federal cases and if they have had a lot of trial and jury experience. Even if it is not going to trial, it is best that the lawyer does have this experience. A legal counsel that is inexperienced is going to run into problems understanding and visualizing all of the strengths and or weaknesses of your particular case. This could end up hurting your case in the end.
2) Make sure that you do not go with an attorney that gets involved with other types of law like divorce law, personal injury law, etc. This means in the long run that this type of lawyer does not specialize in the types of things that is important to your case. This type of legal professional is not going to be knowledgeable enough to understand everything that is needed to handle your case.
3) It is also important to note that you should stay away from lawyers that make promises about your case and the final outcome. It is truly impossible to be able to predict exactly how the case will end up. You should never trust an attorney that promises that they will be definitely be able to win your case, because any good lawyer knows that is an impossible promise because anything can happen during the length of the case. Lawyers that make improbable promises should be avoided at all cost.
4) The attorney you choose should be able to go over your case with you and explain it in words that are easy for you to understand. They should be able to easily explain your charges and what to expect at the trial. They should be able to explain to you concisely what the prosecutor needs to do to prove their case against you and what to expect during your trial. A qualified and good lawyer needs to be able to be boldly honest with you about what could happen to you if they do not win your case.
5) Although money of course is an issue when it comes to finding a lawyer, it truly should not be your top priority. You need to understand when you have federal criminal charges against you there are far more things at stake than just money. You need to make sure that the lawyer you choose is not only trained well and knowledgeable about federal and criminal laws but is also compassionate about their work.
6) Always feel free to discuss the cost with your attorney. A qualified lawyer should be knowledgeable enough to be able to give you a true quote within your first consultation. Generally, fees are based upon whether it is going to trial and the severity of the crime that you are being charged with.
Any lawyer that you pick should be willing to talk to you when it comes to your case in terms that you understand. They should be willing to break it down into terms easy for you to comprehend. They should be willing to talk to you about your case at any time and be willing to return your calls in a timely manner and answer any of the questions that you might have. They also should be able to give you continual updates on your case and how it is going.